Part of our jobs here at PhoneGuard is to stay in touch with facts and statistics about distracted driving. We usually do this by means of reading newspapers and researching through multiple online resources.
Instead of presenting you with a million sad, but realistic facts, we decided to present to you a list of weird, yet very true facts that we hope you find as interesting as we do!
- The first person to be killed in an auto accident in the United States was Henry H. Bliss a 68-year-old real estate broker. On September 14, 1899, in New York City, Mr. Bliss stepped from a streetcar, turned to assist a woman passenger, and was hit by a cab. Does this sound familiar? This story would sound the same as the ones we read EVERY DAY in the paper if we just changed the date! Distracted driving took place then, and it takes place now!
This brings us onto our next fact:
- In 2003, 17,013 people were killed in alcohol-related crashes in the United States. This amounts to one death almost every half-hour. This is so interesting to us becuase, in 2003 texting wasn’t even prominent. Obviously drinking and driving is a major problem and statistics are always on the rise.
- Our point is, today, in 2011, you have a 25% higher chance of being involved in an accident from texting and driving than you do from drinking and driving!
Some more facts for you:
- Studies have shown that texting while driving slows reaction time to that of a 70-year-old!
- In 2008, over 18.5 billion text messages are sent each month.
- In 2009, U.S. Cell phone users sent roughly 4.1 billion texts every day.
- Cell phones cause 1.4 million car crashes every year.
- The average teen sends about 10 texts per hour during the day.
- Distracted driving is the number one killer of teens. That’s more than alcohol, violence, drugs, and suicide. BUT, the age group with the most texters and drivers is 25-34 year-olds!
- Text messaging earns phone companies an average of 60-70 BILLION dollars each year!
Can you text and drive? Play this game and comment us back with your stats!